Friday, June 8, 2012

What a Big Baby You Have

My most recent prenatal appointment was Wednesday.  I was pretty excited that I had lost a pound during this two weeks since I gained 6 in the two weeks before! It's not unusual to start losing a little weight toward the end since there is a lot less room in there and I get full so much easier.


Awhile back Dr. Collins had mentioned thinking I may have a big baby, but the ultrasound tech at my 29 week appointment didn't really make any comments about it.  At this most recent appointment, I was 34.5 weeks and apparently measuring closer to 37/38 weeks.  So, Dr. Collins wants me to do another ultrasound to get a look at her and see how she's cooking.  I've been asked, does measuring ahead mean you are going to have her early? Not really.  It could mean a lot of things.  Maybe she's just big (after all, I was 9 lbs and my brother was 9 1/2 lbs) or maybe I did just eat too many pizza rolls!  Every woman and baby is different so the measurements don't necessarily mean anything at all.  Even the ultrasound has a margin of error of 1-2 lbs this late in pregnancy.  


Moral of the story, I'm not too worried about it.  And I'm certainly not afraid of having a big baby.  I'm more concerned with making sure she stays in there at least a few more weeks.  Am I ready to meet her and not be pregnant anymore?  Absolutely!  But, it's more important to me that she's ready to come out and that her lungs and everything are ready to go!


Jason and I saw the What to Expect When You're Expecting movie last night.  It was cute and reflected many different types of experiences.  I did, however, find the actual birth scenes to be a little unrealistic, but that's Hollywood.  It did make me think about our birth plan and our hope for a natural, unmedicated childbirth.  More on that in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment